The town of Newbury, Massachusetts has an extensive and interesting history. Located on the upper northeastern coastline of the state, in Essex County, it includes three villages – Plum Island, Byfield, and Old Town. Sea of Green Lawn Care extends its invitation to all of these sections to improve and better their outside properties with our lawn care and plant health care programs and applications. We are proud to do our part to help this community continue to thrive.
In the year 1635, 100 people that had set sail from Wiltshire, England the previous year arrived and formed a settlement in what is now Newbury. The Pawtucket Indians had previously inhabited the area, using the rich natural bounty for hunting and fishing grounds. The settlers were so sure they wanted to remain that they incorporated the area the same year. Homes and farming were quickly established, and the very next year, the first gristmill was constructed at the point of the falls in what is now called the Parker River.
The next century saw the economy expand with sawmills and gristmills, and the town created two important “firsts.” The first preparatory school in the United States was created in the community of Byfield in 1763, and the state’s first textile mill in 1794. The town remained a strong economic hub in the region of northeast Massachusetts, despite losing a section that is now Newburyport in 1764, and West Newbury in the early 18th century. The current borders of the city cover 26.3 square miles, 2.9 of which is water. It has a population of 6,666 people as of the 2010 census.
Newbury’s economy has evolved several times, always adapting to demand. Today, fishing is done more for recreation than for industrial purposes, and the businesses of Newbury are mainly a diverse network of small companies in the downtown area. The many historical buildings located within are no small part of its attraction for tourists.
Newbury goes to considerable lengths to preserve its old history. Three organizations within the city are established to both collect information and educate the public on the roots of this town – the Newbury Historical Commission, the Sons and Daughters of the First Settlers of Newbury, and the historic site of the Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm. This is a site of 230 acres which has a manor style house built in the 17th century. In addition to their activities for both children and adults to pass down history, they are also in the business of preserving the well-being of animals. They foster farm animals, partnering with the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The animals have a beautiful grassy area in which to roam and play. Sea of Green Lawn Care can make this beauty a reality for your home, where your children and pets can play on a healthy, pest-free lawn.
The town library has a membership in the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium. Coordinating and sharing resources from a vast network of libraries, it enables residents to have easier access to a host of educational and entertainment materials.
Through the Byfield Community Arts Center, the town of Newbury promotes the arts. Opening in 2006, it operates in the old town hall building erected in 1898. It is available for performances as well as classes, and it receives its funding through these events, as well as donations.